The video below landed on my Facebook feed as part of a sharing campaign by teary-eyed souls lamenting the fate of Syria’s children being shelled in schools by the cruel “Assad regime”:
My analysis of it:
- To begin with, the video is admittedly staged, since the teacher states he is filming “history in the making”, i.e. he knows what is going to happen and is recording it for posterity.
- Helpfully, so that the viewer is left in doubt about who is to blame, one child manages to interject the teacher’s speech, using a rather un-child-like language, with “Filthy regime!”
- The children actually start reacting to the explosion before any sound of a falling shell is heard (except for the boy in front, who seems rather nonplussed about what’s going on).
- There seems to be some kind of smoke coming through the classroom windows but it’s hard to imagine how it could be connected to the explosion allegedly taking place outside at a considerable distance.
- Crucially, there’s a cut in the video at 0:46, at the exact moment the teacher filming with the cellphone crosses the door to the outside courtyard, indicating that the footage of the explosion can not have been shot at the same time. Also, the classroom windows as filmed from the inside do not correspond to the ones shown briefly in the outside footage, nor does the courtyard. And there’s no smoke visible outside except for the explosion cloud the distance.
The video was produced by Planet Syria, an organization of “non-violent Syrian activists.”
Sadlly, this video is being shared as real by people whom I thought had better developed critical skills!
Note: You have to be connected to Facebook to see the video.
If you enjoy OffG's content, please help us make our monthly fund-raising goal and keep the site alive.
For other ways to donate, including direct-transfer bank details click HERE.