Syrian forces broke the siege of two major towns in the northern province of Aleppo on Wednesday after pushing back foreign-backed militants in a successful military operation.
Syria’s official news agency, SANA, said the Syrian forces conducted the final operation meant to break the siege on Nubbul and Zahra, ending the three-and-a-half-year blockade on the towns and liberating the residents from the captivity of militants.
The reports did not elaborate on the identity of the militants, saying the two towns were under siege by terrorist organizations. However, reports have shown that Aleppo’s northern countryside, where Nubbul and Zahra are located, have been under the control of the al-Qaeda-linked terror group al-Nusra Front.
Earlier in the day, Syria’s state television said Syrian forces had cut off major supply lines of the terrorists between the two towns and the nearby village of Maarasta al-Khan.
SANA said Syrian forces in Nubbul and Zahra have now reached other militants in Maarasta al-Khan and there are no remaining terrorists there.
The state television said pro-government forces also managed to seize control over some villages in the eastern countryside of Aleppo, including al-Owaynat.
Another village in the area, identified as Job al-Kalb, was liberated. Syrian media said the village is located near the Kweiris air base, whose siege the Syrian forces managed to break months ago.
The Syrian military also attacked positions of militants in northwestern province of Hama.
More than 260,000 people have been killed in the crisis that has gripped Syria since March 2011.
If you enjoy OffG's content, please help us make our monthly fund-raising goal and keep the site alive.
For direct-transfer bank details click here.